Top 10 Dentistry Schools in the US: A Comprehensive Guide
Pursuing a career in dentistry requires dedication, skill, and the best education. For aspiring dentists, choosing the right dental school is crucial to gain the necessary training and preparation for a successful career. When researching the top dental schools in the US, it’s important to look at factors like clinical training opportunities, faculty expertise, research facilities, acceptance rates, and career support services. Based on these aspects and rankings by major publications, here are 10 of the top dentistry schools across the United States:
Key takeaways on choosing a top dentistry school:
- Accreditation – Only apply to dental schools accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation. This ensures the program meets rigorous educational standards.
- Clinical Exposure – Look for schools that offer early and extensive hands-on clinical experience across a wide range of specialties. This allows students to develop clinical skills.
- Research Opportunities – The best programs have robust research departments where students can participate in ongoing projects and gain skills in research methods.
- Post-Graduation Success – Examine the school’s reputation, residency placement rates, and alumni success in finding employment. This indicates how well the school prepares students.
- Faculty – Consider the expertise and qualifications of the faculty. Top schools attract knowledgeable professors and clinicians at the forefront of dentistry.
- Facilities – State-of-the-art simulation labs, preclinical teaching spaces, and clinics equip students with experiences using the latest dental technology.
- Cost – Carefully weigh tuition and fees against financial aid packages and scholarship opportunities when evaluating program costs.
Choosing the right dental school is key for gaining a world-class dental education. Focusing on these aspects will help identify programs that provide the best training.
1. University of Michigan School of Dentistry
Address: University of Michigan School of Dentistry | 1011 North University Ave | Ann Arbor, MI 48109 | 734-763-6933
Clinical Facilities and Research Excellence
The University of Michigan School of Dentistry is highly regarded for its robust clinical training and innovative research programs.
- State-of-the-art dental clinics on campus provide students with extensive hands-on experience in general and specialty dentistry.
- As a top research institution, Michigan enables dental students to work on impactful research across various disciplines like biomaterials, cariology, and oral health policy.
Curriculum and Special Programs
Michigan’s rigorous dental curriculum emphasizes evidence-based treatment and critical thinking skills.
- First-year students participate in clinical observations and simulations for early exposure.
- Advanced specialty training is offered in areas like orthodontics, pediatric dentistry, and oral surgery.
- Continuing education courses allow dental professionals to update their clinical knowledge and techniques.
With its blend of unparalleled clinical experience and research excellence, the University of Michigan School of Dentistry continues to shape the future of dental education and practice. Its high caliber of education produces exceptionally skilled dentists engaged at the forefront of innovation in oral healthcare.
2. University of California, San Francisco School of Dentistry
Address: UCSF Dental Center, 707 Parnassus Ave., San Francisco, CA 94143 415.502.5800
Leadership in Dental Education and Patient Care
UCSF School of Dentistry is distinguished by its innovative approach to dental education and focus on compassionate patient care.
- The curriculum emphasizes evidence-based dentistry, critical thinking, and patient-centered care. Students learn to provide comprehensive oral health treatment.
- Interprofessional education allows students to collaborate with medical, nursing, and pharmacy programs to provide whole-person care.
Community Involvement and Global Impact
UCSF has a strong commitment to improving dental health locally and globally.
- Students participate in community outreach programs across the San Francisco Bay Area through dental clinics and health fairs.
- Global health electives allow students to work with underserved populations abroad and address oral health disparities.
- UCSF has partnerships with organizations like the WHO and the FDI World Dental Federation to improve oral health worldwide.
With its forward-thinking approach and focus on community service, UCSF continues to shape the future of dental education. It produces graduates ready to lead across all dimensions of oral healthcare.
3. Harvard School of Dental Medicine
Address: Cambridge, 114 Mt. Auburn Street, 7th Floor, Cambridge, MA
Address: Longwood, 188 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA
Integration with Medicine and Emphasis on Leadership
Harvard uniquely integrates dental education with medical training to cultivate healthcare leaders.
- The curriculum bridges dental medicine and medical science for a whole-body perspective.
- Leadership development prepares students for roles advancing healthcare policy, education, and practice.
Advancements in Dental Research
Harvard is a global leader in innovative dental research across disciplines.
- Cutting-edge facilities enable students to participate in impactful research projects.
- Partnerships with institutions worldwide provide opportunities for international collaboration.
- Research areas include tissue engineering, oral cancer, biomaterials, and more.
With its interprofessional training and research excellence, Harvard School of Dental Medicine produces exceptionally qualified clinicians and scientists ready to lead dentistry forward through innovation and discovery.
4. University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine
Address: 240 South 40th Street (40th & Locust St.), Philadelphia, PA, 19104
Innovative Education and Community Engagement
UPenn Dental Medicine provides an innovative curriculum and focuses on community outreach.
- Educational approaches like small group learning and a competency-based curriculum.
- Robust community service programs provide dental care to underserved Philadelphia residents.
Specialized Clinical Programs
UPenn offers advanced clinical training across dental specialties.
- Specialized tracks in endodontics, periodontics, pediatric dentistry, and more.
- Cutting-edge dental clinics and simulation labs for hands-on experiential learning.
With its forward-thinking curriculum and clinical excellence, UPenn produces compassionate dentists engaged in advancing dental medicine and improving community health. Graduates are prepared to lead across all dimensions of dental practice.
5. New York University College of Dentistry
Address: 345 E. 24th Street (corner of First Avenue) New York, NY, 10010 |(212) 998-9800
Diverse Learning Environment and Global Outreach
NYU Dentistry has a highly diverse student body and focus on global health.
- Students represent a wide range of backgrounds, perspectives, and demographics.
- Global service learning programs allow students to provide dental care and education internationally.
Comprehensive Clinical Experience
NYU provides extensive clinical training opportunities.
- One of the largest dental clinics in the U.S. delivers broad exposure to patient cases.
- Students develop skills in the latest techniques and dental technologies.
With its diverse community and wealth of clinical experience, NYU College of Dentistry produces culturally competent graduates ready to address oral health needs globally and drive advancements in modern dental practice.
6. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Dentistry
Address: #7450 Chapel Hill, N.C. 27599-7450
Excellence in Education and Research
UNC Dentistry provides top-tier dental education and research opportunities.
- Robust research programs integrated with the curriculum allow students to gain research skills.
- There is a strong focus on evidence-based practice and public health.
- Extensive community outreach provides dental services across North Carolina.
UNC offers cutting-edge facilities for clinical and research training.
- Modern dental clinics simulate private practice settings with the latest technologies.
- Interprofessional education centers allow collaboration with medical, pharmacy, and nursing students.
- Research labs provide access to advanced tools like 3D imaging and nanofabrication.
With its blend of research, education, and community service, UNC Dentistry produces well-rounded graduates ready to advance oral health through science and compassionate care.
7. University of California, Los Angeles School of Dentistry
Address: 714 Tiverton, Los Angeles, CA 90095
Innovative Curriculum and Diverse Specialties
UCLA dental school provides cutting-edge education and specialty training.
- The curriculum integrates emerging advances in dental science and practice.
- Students can specialize in areas like orthodontics, pediatric dentistry, oral surgery, and more.
Leadership in Dental Technology
UCLA is pioneering the future of dentistry through technology.
- It is a leader in digital dentistry, including 3D imaging, CAD/CAM, and integration of AI.
- Faculty develop innovative treatment methods using lasers, regenerative techniques, and nanotechnology.
- The school partners with tech companies to evaluate new dental software, equipment, and materials.
With its focus on innovation in technology and education, UCLA School of Dentistry prepares graduates to be leaders driving the next generation of dental advances.
8. Columbia University College of Dental Medicine
Address: 630 West 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, United States
Comprehensive Education and Community Health Focus
Columbia Dental offers a broad dental curriculum with an emphasis on community health.
- Students receive training in all dental specialties and areas of oral health.
- Outreach programs provide dental care to underserved NYC neighborhoods.
Research and Interdisciplinary Collaboration
Columbia encourages collaborative research across disciplines.
- Students can participate in research at the university’s state-of-the-art facilities.
- Interprofessional programs allow collaboration with medical, nursing, public health students.
- Research areas include biomaterials, tissue engineering, oral microbiology, and more.
With its wide-ranging curriculum and community orientation, Columbia prepares dental graduates to improve oral health through science, compassion, and service to diverse populations.
9. University of Washington School of Dentistry
Address: 1959 NE Pacific St., B-307, Box: 356365, Seattle, WA | 98195-6365
Clinical Excellence and Innovation
The University of Washington dental school emphasizes developing strong clinical skills and innovative thinking.
- Extensive hands-on clinical experiences prepare students for dental practice.
- The curriculum encourages critical thinking and creativity to advance oral health.
Global Health and Community Service
Washington prioritizes global Initiatives and community outreach.
- Students participate in service learning locally and globally to underserved communities.
- Research and programs aim to reduce oral health disparities worldwide.
With its blend of clinical rigor, creativity, and social responsibility, the University of Washington School of Dentistry produces highly skilled graduates ready to shape the future of dentistry through service, innovation, and discovery.
10. University of Florida College of Dentistry
Address: 1395 Center Drive, Gainesville, FL 32610 | 352-273-6700
Comprehensive Education and Patient-Centered Care
The University of Florida College of Dentistry provides broad training focused on patient-centered care.
- Students gain a thorough foundation across all dental disciplines and treatment modalities.
- The curriculum emphasizes developing patient communication skills, compassion, and customized care plans.
Community Engagement and Outreach
Florida has a strong commitment to serving community oral health needs.
- Students participate in clinics providing dental treatment to underserved and rural populations across Florida.
- Outreach programs promote oral health education and prevention in schools and nursing homes.
With its comprehensive curriculum and community focus, the University of Florida College of Dentistry prepares graduates committed to advancing patient-centered, community-minded dental care.