The Best Electric Toothbrush For Toddlers
Brushing a toddler’s teeth can be a bit of a challenge. They may not cooperate, and even if they do, it’s hard to properly clean inside of their little mouths.
I found that using an electric toothbrush helps a lot for toddler oral health. See below for the top 3 best electric toothbrush for toddlers.
Benefits of Using an Electric Toothbrush for a Toddler
Better Plaque Removal
For kids, using an electric toothbrush results in more removal of plaque and gingivitis, according to this study. That’s because the motion of the electric toothbrush does all of the work for you. The oscillating or vibrating bristles deliver thousands of strokes per minute, something that a human hand just cannot do.
Almost all electric toothbrushes have a built in timer. This is especially helpful for toddlers, who are more likely to brush for a few seconds rather than the recommended 2 minutes.
There is even an electric toothbrush for kids that connects to a fun app via bluetooth. While kids think it’s a game, the app actually tells the child where to brush while timing them.
Stops Kids from Brushing Too Hard
A common problem among kids who brush their own teeth is that they tend to brush too hard. They think that if they brush harder, they are doing better. However, we know that is not the case. Brushing too hard can damage the tooth enamel and gums.
Most electric toothbrushes have pressure sensors that will automatically shut off if the user is brushing too hard. This will help the child get the feel of exactly how hard they should be brushing.
Good for Little Hands
Using a manual toothbrush requires a certain amount of dexterity that toddlers have not yet developed. They may not have the coordination necessary to proficiently brush their teeth on their own until they are 8 years old.
Electric toothbrushes for toddlers really help with this because it takes the brushing motion out of the picture. All the child needs to do is place the brush head up to their teeth. Electric toothbrushes are also shaped in a way that makes it easier to get to those hard to reach areas.
Best Electric Toothbrush for Toddlers
Oral-B Kids Electric Toothbrush With Sensitive Brush Head and Timer
The Oral-B Kids Electric Toothbrush is recommended for kids aged 3 and up. Included are a rechargeable handle, charger, and a brush head. A 2 minute timer is located on the toothbrush handle.
This toothbrush comes with a soft bristled head that oscillates for better plaque removal. If you want to change the head, it is compatible with a variety of Oral-B electric toothbrush heads.
Overall, this is a good basic electric toothbrush for toddlers. It’s affordable and cleans teeth well.
- Includes 1 rechargeable handle, 1 charger, 1 brush head, 4 stickers
- Round brush head with soft bristles rotates and oscillates to clean better
- Removes more plaque than a manual toothbrush for healthy smiles.
- Electric toothbrush with timer in handle to help kids brush the full two minutes
- Compatible with a variety of Oral-B Brush Heads for every Oral Care need
Philips Sonicare HX6321/02 Sonicare for Kids Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
The Philips Sonicare Kids Electric Toothbrush is for toddlers aged 3 and up. It comes with 1 handle, 1 brush head, and 1 charger. The really cool thing about this toothbrush is that it connects to a fun app that not only motivates kids to brush their teeth, it teaches them how to do it properly too.
The app guides kids through brushing each quadrant and plays music when it is time to switch. The app gives kids rewards for brushing regularly, and parents can also monitor their brushing habits.
This electric toothbrush is a little more expensive than the Oral-B, but I do think the interactive app makes it worth it. With the app, many parents have reported that their kids now look forward to brushing their teeth.
- 98 percent of parents say its easier to get kids to brush longer and better with the interactive sonic power toothbrush
- free app educates and gets kids excited about brushing. Kids are rewarded for each successful brushing session while parents can track and monitor progress
- The kidpacer musically alerts when to move to the next quadrant of the mouth to ensure a thorough cleaning
- The kidtimer gradually increase to 2 minutes to help train kids to brush for the dental professional recommended 2 minutes
Brusheez® Kids Electric Toothbrush Set
At first glance you can see that the Brusheez Kids Electric Toothbrush is super cute and geared for young kids. Included are the toothbrush, 2 heads, dinosaur cover, rinse cup, sand timer, and the base. This toothbrush is battery powered and recommended for toddlers 3 and up.
I think kids would really like the design of this toothbrush. The dinosaur cover is suitable for both boys and girls. While this toothbrush does not have a built in timer like the others, it does have a sand timer on the base.
I also like that the base provides an area for the child to put everything when they are done. If you are okay with a battery powered toothbrush, as opposed to a rechargeable one, this is a good choice. If your child isn’t into dinosaurs, the Brusheez Store on Amazon offers many other animals, such as a unicorn, bear, and elephant.
- MAKES BRUSHING FUN: Cute and colorful animal-themed set is perfectly designed to make brushing easy and fun for little brushers ages 3 and up
- PROMOTES GOOD BRUSHING HABITS: Fun 2-minute sand timer encourages children to brush long enough to thoroughly clean their teeth and gums
- SAFE & EFFECTIVE CLEANING: Battery-powered toothbrush removes up to 2x more plaque than a manual toothbrush
- VERSATILE STAND: Great for sink countertop or easily mounts on the wall
Tips for Brushing Your Toddler’s Teeth
- Take turns brushing their teeth. For example, you can brush their teeth first, and they can brush their own teeth after.
- Brush a few times without toothpaste to get them used to it.
- Let them practice brushing a stuffed animal’s teeth.
- Play fun music or sing a song while brushing teeth.
- Let your child pick their own toothbrush.
- Use a sticker chart to motivate your child to brush their teeth.
- Give them lots of praise for doing a good job.
Electric toothbrushes are great for toddlers because they provide better plaque removal than manual toothbrushes. They are also easier for toddlers to use because they require less dexterity. The best electric toothbrush for toddlers are kid friendly and have a timer.